Strawberry Cake will be your new favorite summertime treat. Reminiscent of a classic French Apple Cake it has a crumb that is sweet and custardy with a top that bakes up light and crumbly. This cake is the perfect way to show off those fresh picked strawberries!
After being wowed by the look of it coming out of the oven my family and I were even more impressed with the taste. The cake was moist and custardy in the middle. I looked up the ingredients for a classic French Apple Cake and other than the addition of sour cream this is basically the same cake but with strawberries instead of apples. So I am calling it French Strawberry Cake.
And if you don’t know this trick you need to… for freshly whipped cream in a jiffy add heavy cream and powdered sugar to a Mason jar and use your immersion blender to whip it for just about a minute. Turns out perfect with no mess! Your kids can do this for you.
And this cake could not be simpler to make with fresh berries. It’s strawberry season around here and while I used a container of beautiful red strawberries from my grocery for this first cake I cannot wait to make it again with berries my kids and I have picked ourselves. We plan to go this Saturday. I really want to know… do you go berry picking with your family? If you do you need to Pin this cake recipe to try!
French Strawberry Cake
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 c. granulated sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 t. baking powder
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- 16 oz. fresh strawberries, stemmed and halved
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip together the butter and 1 cup of the sugar until pale and fluffy, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time and beat well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition.
- Fold in strawberries. Spread the batter in the prepared cake pan. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar evenly over the top of the cake batter.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Let cool completely on wire rack.
Do not forget to PIN it on Pinterest